General Information About Charlotte Douglas International Airport
Charlotte Douglas International Airport is the eleventh busiest airport (airport codes: IATA: CLT, ICAO: KCLT, FAA LID: CLT) in the whole USA, and it takes the sixth place by aircraft movements in the world. The airport has a civil-military appointment and located in Charlotte, North Carolina. It established in 1935 as Charlotte Municipal Airport, its current name the airport received in 1982.
Being a joint civil-military facility, Charlotte Douglas International airport became Charlotte Air National Guard Base and also for its the 145th Airlift Wing of the North Carolina Air National Guard, which located in a military area on the east side of the airport. It received the Eagle Award in 2010 from the International Air Transport Association for "Best Airport" and has lots of awards in the aviation industry.
The capacity of Charlotte Douglas International Airport
Nowadays, Charlotte Douglas International Airport is used by U.S. Airways company as its central transit hub, which serves more than 135 routes inside of the country and also international flights. The territory of the airport covers an area of 2,249 ha. The airport is ranked in the top ten busiest airports in the world with 1400 arrivals and departures daily.
The airport became the second-largest hub for American Airlines and served 178 domestic and international destinations, which includes 141 local and 37 international flights. Thirty-two million people annually travel through the airport for more than a hundred destinations. It welcomes about 46 million people annually.
History of Charlotte Douglas International Airport
Charlotte's airport was the largest city project given by WPA. Received funding, the city administration had to construct the airport with a big terminal, hangar, and three runways. Charlotte Municipal Airport opened, in 1936 and the next year, first Air Lines began to serve passengers. In 1941 the airport was taken under control of the United States Air Forces and renamed it into Morris Field. Us military invested 5$ million to make improvements till the time it was returned to the city. It was renamed Douglas Municipal Airport after the mayor of city Ben Elbert Douglas. Its terminal had two floors, and during weekday the airport made 76 departures.
In 1962 it began serving jet flights (Eastern Airlines). The renovation project for airport expansion appeared in 1960. This project prescribed the old west pier was replaced, and instead of this, Eastern opened a unit terminal with eight gates; each of them had its departure lounge, snack bar, and baggage reclaim. In 1975, seven airlines in the airport had 97-weekday departures to 32 destinations.
In 1980, the old terminal site changed to a cargo center, Eastern unit terminal, and the central concourse removed for the reason they wanted to build more cargo buildings. The administration announced a plan for construction of Concourse E, which was a regional concourse and expansion of other halls such as A and D.